Here are the resources for Lesson 11 – Labor: Created to Create
Points to consider for discussion time
- Dr. Tackett begins this tour by reminding us of the 8 th Commandment – “Thou Shalt Not Steal” – and what it implies about property and ownership rights. How is this relevant to the ensuing discussion of labor and economics?
- Why does Dr. Tackett temporarily re-name the fourth commandment “The Labor Command?” How does this tie in with Jesus’ declaration that “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath”?
- Read Genesis 3:17-19. What is the focal point of the curse that God pronounces on Adam in these verses? How might a correct understanding of this curse impact our thinking about the sphere of labor and the place of work in our lives?
- What are some ways that the Old Testament principle of “gleanings” might be applied within the context of our modern economy? What is the key difference between this approach to helping the needy and that of the “welfare state”?
- Makoto Fujimata, founder of the International Arts Movement, argues that the Church needs to find ways to re-establish itself as a center of creative and artistic activities. Why is his vision so important to the future not only of the Church, but of western culture as a whole?
|Ex 20:8-11||Mark 2:27||James 5:4||Prov 22:29|
|Gen 2:2||Psa 19:1||Psa 102:25||Heb 11:3|
|Gen 2:15||Gen 3:17-19||Ex 20:8-11||Ex 20:15, 17|
|Prov 10:4||Prov 14:23||Matt 6:20||Matt 25:14-30|
|Psa 50:7-12||Gen 1:28||Lev 25:23||Psa 50:7-12|
|Gen 1:26-30||1 Chron 29:10-14||Lev 19:9-10||Ex 23:11|
|1 John 3:17||Eph 4:28||2 Cor 8:13-15||Deut 8:17-18|
|Deut 24:15||Luke 12:48||Eph 6:9||Col 4:1|
|James 5:4||Eph 6:5-8||Col 3: 22-25||1 Tim 6:1-2|
|Titus 2:9-10||1 Pet 2:18-22||Eph 6:5-9||Prov 6:6-11|
|2 Thess 3:10||Matt 6;20-24||Prov 28:27||Ex 23:11|
|Prov 29:7||Psa 101:3||1 Chron 25:1-8|